Tax Forms: Which ones do I need and where the heck are they?

Chances are you’ve spent at least one frustrating afternoon running around town trying to find tax forms you need. It sometimes seems like the IRS is intentionally hiding them to make your life miserable. Even worse, once you do find the forms, you’re not even sure which ones you need! Why does the world hate you so much?

Take a breath and relax, cause Kabbage is here to help. First, we’ll show you the top places to find tax forms. You may be surprised how easy it is! (Hint: Google is your friend.) Then we’ll take a look at some of the most common forms so you can decide if you need them.

Where Are the Tax Forms I Need?

Sick of driving in circles around town looking for the tax forms you need? Like most things in life, they are hidden in plain sight. In fact, you’ve probably strolled right by them and if they’d been a snake they’d bit you!

Tax forms are usually found in two places: the post office and the library. This is where the majority of taxpayers grab them. However, unless you find a particularly savvy librarian, finding tax advice at one of these places may prove difficult.

If you live in a big enough town for it, a tax office will provide you not only with the tax forms you need but also the advice to get you on the right path. Even a small trip to a bigger city may be worth it!

But the #1 place to go for all your tax forms? Your home office or living room! Everything is digital now and the IRS is no different. Just head over to their Forms and Publications section and download whatever you need. Print everything out and you’re ready to go. They even have the instructions available!

Which Tax Forms Do I Need?

When you do stumble upon the treasure trove of tax forms (wherever you go), you may become overwhelmed at how many there are. But you most likely will only use a set amount of forms, such as:

1040: This is the main form 99% of taxpayers will use. There are several variations of it, such as the 1040EZ, made for people with really simple taxes, or the 1040A, which is for folks who have fairly simple taxes, but might need a few variations, like adjustments.

Schedules: There are several “Schedules” you’ll need if you’re doing any adjustments or adding deductions or even providing non-traditional income. They include forms for self-employment (Schedule C), itemized deductions (Schedule A), and Schedule EIC, which is used to document eligibility for the Earned Income Credit.

8822: Have you moved and need to let the IRS know? Send them Form 8822.

2553: If you’re a business and you want to elect to be taxed as an S-Corporation, fill out Form 2553 and send it in.

4868: The tax extension request form! One of the really important forms out there for anyone who can’t quite get everything figured out on time! This form lets you push back the due date for reporting your taxes from April 17th (this year) to October 15th. However, it doesn’t extend the time you have to PAY any taxes you owe, oddly enough. So keep that in mind before relying on a tax extension.