Five things to know before opening a business checking account online
Before we explore the five things to know before opening a business checking account online, it’s helpful to review the five reasons it’s critical to have a business checking account:
- Accurate and clean bookkeeping: Separating your business account from your personal account makes it much easier to write off business expenses and sort through your business transactions at tax time.
- Business vs. hobby: Without a business checking account, the IRS might decide that your business is a hobby, rather than a real business. Having a separate banking account can make a big difference.
- Looking like a business professional: Having a business checking account adds professionalism and credibility to your business.
- Credit card payments: Having a business checking account enables you to accept credit card payments from clients and customers.
- Liability protection: If you are an LLC, having a business account is the only way to protect you from personal liability in case something goes wrong at your business.
As a business owner with a lot on your plate, you’re wondering how to find the time to open a business checking account. The good news is that when you open a business checking account online, it’s typically faster than visiting a branch location and applying in person. Plus, you can do it whenever it’s convenient for you.
Now let’s look at the five things you need to know before opening a business checking account online.
Select the right bank for your small business needs
Choose a financial institution that will best meet your small business needs today and as you grow in the future. Look for these business banking features, all of which Kabbage Checking™* offers:
- A free business checking account
- No or low monthly fees, including monthly maintenance fees, transaction fees and ATM fees
- No transaction limit
- A high interest rate
- No minimum deposit or minimum balance requirement
- Quick access to cash
- Overdraft protection
- Direct deposits
- Online banking
- Mobile banking
Choosing the wrong bank can have serious ramifications for your company down the road. For example, if you choose a well-established bank, you might have difficulties getting a business loan, because larger banks tend to be less flexible when it comes to the applications they approve. Likewise, if you choose a bank with a lot of hidden fees, you might have a difficult time managing your cash flow.
*The Kabbage Checking Account is provided by Green Dot Bank, member FDIC, and is FDIC-insured up to $250,000.
How much money do you need to open a business checking account online?
Most banks require you to deposit a small amount of money into your account when you open it. Some that don’t require an upfront deposit will make up for this by charging you random monthly fees or requiring a minimum daily balance of say $1,500.
When you bank with Kabbage, you aren’t required to make an upfront deposit; you aren’t charged random monthly fees; and you aren’t required to maintain a minimum balance.
Information you need prior to opening a checking account online
To open a business account, you will need the following documents. Please note that the exact documents you need have to do with what type of business you have. Make sure you have everything you need readily available.
Know the monthly fees associated with the business checking account
Many financial institutions will offer fee waivers for customers who are able to keep a minimum daily balance. Unfortunately, many new business owners fail to give this factor much consideration when they open a new business bank account. They end up getting charged monthly expenses that they hadn’t budgeted for.
Before you choose a bank account for your company, it’s important to look at the minimum balances (daily and monthly) and determine whether this is something you will be able to meet.
Once again, when you bank with Kabbage, you don’t need to worry about monthly fees.
Know what services you need to run your business efficiently
Before making your final decision, take a moment to think about what services are critical for you to run your business efficiently. If your business doesn’t need to accept cash, online banking could be a nice convenience for you. If you prefer in-person service, a local credit union could be your best option. Easy access to money is always a convenience, as is an easy-access debit card and mobile banking. Also, digital banking can come in very handy if it’s important for you to be able to make deposits and payments at your convenience.
Banking with Kabbage
When you bank with Kabbage, you get all the features you expect from a business checking account, starting with being able to open your account online and including:
- Mobile Banking: Enables you to keep an eye on your account at all times.
- Debit Card: Your Kabbage debit card provides you with convenient cash capabilities.
- Mobile Deposits: Deposit checks using the Kabbage mobile app.
- eStatements: Keep track of expenses and stay organized with eco-friendly estatements.
And you get none of the hassles: no monthly fees; no minimum balances; and no transaction limit.
What’s more, you get an APY of 1.10%1 on balances up to $100,000.
Learn more about how Kabbage Checking can support your small business.